MAIN SEASON IS OVER, LONG LIVE THE MAIN SEASON

Extreme Games Baseduel League (Draft)

Moderators: jaXen, EGDL Management

Lee
Level 10

MAIN SEASON IS OVER, LONG LIVE THE MAIN SEASON

Post by Lee » April 19th, 2017, 3:52 am

MAIN SEASON CHAMPS:
WREKT - only squad to go throughout entire season without a loss had the easiest game against potentially biggest opponents Jesus Shit, as the losers decided to no-show. Potentially the most balanced squad out there with active pilots, high quality in all player-groups and a smart and flexible GM who can adapt to game situations fast and experiment. Clutch/finite/twistnturn have been the standout players this season, each playing big part in the success and hopefully all can show also in playoffs. Meadow has been massive FA signing, easily one the best mid-tier pilot around there. 4v4 or 5v5 does not matter for Wrekt as they have taken out all opponents in both formats.
Hopefully bye-week will not affect the squad play-level much, definitely favorites to make it to finals.

ALSO IN PLAYOFFS:
JESUS SHIT
Big surprise bunch of early season, their form seemed to fade away near the end, with 2 losses in last 3 games. As Extort failed to take out 8thwonder though, they still kept their sort of undeserved second spot and hence get a bye week, which could be very bad for inactive squad like Jesus Shit. History has shown us many cases of good squad losing momentum with bye week as players do not play together and get out of shape. Delete/hoontar/rushmore/dcshoe have been their standout pilots this season, with pocho playing less important role than expected before. DCshoe though has been quite possibly their most important player, helping them use the lowvp anchor + 3 top tier format entire league. They are not as strong with 5v5 and have witnessed quite a few losses in that format as well, as their mid-tier selection is not that great.

EXTORT
Eel started this season with horrible draft, but made it up with some quick thinking smart trades and luck in FA pick order as well. Ever since 3rd week though, they have been quite unstoppable in league, which makes their quite clear loss to 8thwonder the more surprising. Sure, they did use a bit different lineup as Omega red got his first game in this league, but it was far from the dominating squad eel used to run before.
Tryo and eel have been the standout pilots this season with h4b and cust taking vital roles as well after being drafted. They have been using various low vps with remark, ace joker (still makes me lol), but none have been automatic starter unlike the case with wrekt and jesus shit.
They are definitely weaker in 5v5 format as their mid-tier selection is very mediocre. With 4v4, they have been using Tryo as anchor and low vps role is rusher. Quite possibly the best top-tier selection, but extort still feels a bit unbalanced as i feel like other squads have better low and mid-tier options.

8THWONDER
Bacon stepped up and the motivation and game level of this squad has finally reached the levels it was expected in the beginning of league. Why it took so long for them to find their game, is a puzzle still. Alongside Wrekt, they have been the most in-form squad in last part of season and their win against extort proves they have to be taken seriously. Bacon/thix and thecript have been their best players, but at times it felt like this team just needs proper leadership and guidance. Quite weird roster choices and stubborn lineups have cost them many points.
Biggest question is who will be their 4th pilot. Neither monty himself, dbz or groan have been that impressive. I have no idea why they have not tried 5v5 really in any important games. Looking at their mid-tier pilots, they seem to have quite a good selection.
I see them as favorites against Praised, but alot depends on what choices they make and who shows up for the game.

PRAISED
Alongside Viper, one of the biggest disappointments for me in this league. I expected them to do so much better, but it just feels like the teamwork is not there for this squad. 24k gold was originally hyped up to be the best low vp in this league, but in reality, his performances have been mediocre and in recent games proz has been preferred as the low vp anchor. Poem/taunt/reno with low vp anchor does seem a great lineup and have been the most used pilots so far, but sometimes just some players do not click as well as they should and i feel like this lineup should replace one of the 3 pilots to do better, boogy and unplug himself could try to play.
Praised should be able to play equally well in 5v5, but as their low vp rushers are not really that good, i thnk they will prefer low vp anchor + 3 top pilot system in important playoff games, leaving afghan, who has done good job anchoring when needed to bench.

FANATIK
I did not really think this squad would make it to playoffs in the beginning of the league, but they managed to make maximum of it and excellent win against Viper in last round made their season still successful. I do not see them having many chances against Extort in playoffs, especially as fanatik is clearly stronger in 5v5 format, but lacking the cutting edge in 4v4, which will be the format eel will use against them. Ioth has been heart and soul of this team with azuline and kipy playing more important role in later phases of the league as well. Still, ioth and azuline are the 2 only top tier pilots on this squad incredibly, i have no idea why doomsy did not try to get any, but instead made a squad that had just loads of mid-tiers in it. Kipy is not really low-tier pilot, it will compensate a bit if he shows, but still, i feel like Extort will have an edge here.
Still ending up 6th is decent enough for this squad.

OUT:
VIPER
It is incredible to think that this squad used to be one of the most feared teams in the beginning of league and they started so well, destroying Praised and Get dicked in first 2 rounds. But ever since loss to Jesus Shit, this team has been in ruins. Unlike eel, who noticed a problem and then fixed it, SB has been incredibly stubborn, doing 0 trades and making poor choices in FA draft. This is what happens if u put all your eggs in 1 basket and then have no other options but to carry them in that poorly constructed one until they are all smashed. In addition, unlike some other first round picks, Pao has not really been able to carry the team at all, sometimes missing games, sometimes playing weird roles. I remember times when he used to be one of the best baseduel anchors, but in this league, he has hardly anchored at all. In the end Viper was unbalanced squad with laggots who were unable to do anything against skilled pilots against 4v4.

GET DICKED
Many props for Get Dicked to play until the end and have 0 no shows, while already almost certainly confirmed to exit the league. This is not common at all in EG, when teams are usually just dying the second they have 0 chances of succeeding. It is a shame odb fcked this squad up so much in the beginning that it was almost impossible task to make it competitive later on. They have really put up good fight against anyone and won a few matches here and there, but with 4v4, they just lack the quality to be a considerable opponent. I am still so puzzle of their choices in last FA draft though. Why get mangled, while u still had meadow or omega red to be picked. Quite weird. Not sure if it would have helped, but still.
Hope ODB gets autoban from GM for future leagues.
Last edited by Lee on April 19th, 2017, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BOMBED> i dropped out cuz school is gay as fck
BOMBED> education overrated
Sephiroth> wish i could get half naked with my sister n post pics
Sephiroth> it is the truth

gaZ
Level 5

Re: MAIN SEASON IS OVER, LONG LIVE THE MAIN SEASON

Post by gaZ » April 19th, 2017, 8:21 am

Pretty sure ODB already aliased and still playing.

Ioth
Level 5

Post by Ioth » April 19th, 2017, 8:25 am

Nice summary.

SAVE THE LANCASTER

1:Darren> i should host prized trivia
1:Darren> thing is
1:Darren> im fking stupid

prozaker
Level 5

Post by prozaker » April 19th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Nice read! you said against twice in one of your closing statements
Proz

jaXen
Level 6

Post by jaXen » April 19th, 2017, 2:53 pm

Good read for sure. I'll probably do a write up at the end of egbdl to reflect on the whole league. GD definitely deserves big props for not just finishing but finishing strong. It would've been an even tighter league with the obvious differences. It's been cool to see how competitive things can be with such a smaller population if done right. I can't remember the last time there were 8 squads in a league. I think almost anyone can win this league on a good day. Each of the squads can be dangerous when their team is clicking. I wonder if any matches will end up being 5v5. Most of the squads are still great 5v5 (actually in fact all of them have at least one stud mid tier).
Aliases: AfghaN, jaXeN, mvp

Hunt for Blood
Level 3

Post by Hunt for Blood » April 19th, 2017, 3:12 pm

Great read!
H4B
2 EGFL wins (5 time finalist)
2 EGDL wins
1 BDL wins
Best new player at top 2005.
Nominee for best aggressive attacker 2009.

Unlimited
Level 4

Post by Unlimited » April 19th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Good stuff. Very accurate. Here's my take :

Wrekt -
I have never been so proud of a team I have been on, whether I was GM or not.. this squad is one of the most fun, active teams I have ever been a part of. The fact we didn't lose once? says a lot. Our main goal has yet to completed, however, but trust you me this goal WILL be accomplished. Shout out to Finite/twistnturn/clutch/lee/mracy/aggi/cape/meadow/rabbit!/x711/happy^/paradise for always showing and always having a great attitude on top of pwning. Made things very easy for the team to be so successful.

Jesus Shit -
Gaz drafted very well and has proved to be a pretty damn good GM, proud of how good he's done. Delete/hoontar/rushmore combo is very deadly.

Extort -
What is there to say? it's not surprising eel turned things around after having a whatever draft. Eel took advantage of some good trades as well as good pick ups in FA all to turn his team completely around and looks to be the second best team after Wrekt (SECOND BEST.)

8thwonder -
This is a toughy.. amazing team but the fact that Monty has not done many unscheduled matches? didn't allow this team to gain chemistry and reach their full potential. Bacon/thecript are two of the best, but that can't do jack shit if the whole team is lost, especially against great opponents who are active.

Praised -
Great team but seems to not mesh well, but cannot be underestimated.. they're really fuckin good. Honestly? if they got more active during the week and gained some more chemistry this squad has the potential to be the best, however.. their core of renown/taunt arn't as active as they use to be and it's showing.

Fanatik -
Though not the best team on paper? Ioth and Azuline have proved to be a force to be reckoned with and could pull a huge upset. Do not underestimate them. Doomsy has also proved that he's not just a map maker and a decent GM as well. Good job Dooms.

Get Dicked -
Very disappointed in odb.. don't know what to say here.. but screw the negativity. Mad props for them not giving up and sticking it out till the very end. Real good team but was just missing 1-2 top players.. however, they can whoop anyone's ass in 5v5. This is the very last time Square apple gets mid tier.

Viper -
Smoki came into this draft with an idea of drafting laggers, and with his swing type style play? it looked to be a good idea, but it wasn't. In 4v4, lag means absolutely nothing. With no plan B, and doing no trades what so ever to remedy the situation, his team spiraled down like never seen before. The fact he talked mad shit rubbed people the wrong way and everyone wanted to whoop their ass bad? didn't help them either. You can only learn from this for the future is all, but for now? you're out of playoffs.
Colonel Lag> 275 consecutive kills? I'm lucky to get 2 consecutive kills!

prozaker
Level 5

Post by prozaker » April 19th, 2017, 7:10 pm

I really enjoyed playing vs GD it was really fun!!
Proz

PAT
Level 6

Post by PAT » April 20th, 2017, 12:14 am

Unlimited wrote:
April 19th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Wrekt -
I have never been so proud of a team I have been on, whether I was GM or not.. this squad is one of the most fun, active teams I have ever been a part of. The fact we didn't lose once? says a lot. Our main goal has yet to completed, however, but trust you me this goal WILL be accomplished. Shout out to Finite/twistnturn/clutch/lee/mracy/aggi/cape/meadow/rabbit!/x711/happy^/paradise for always showing and always having a great attitude on top of pwning. Made things very easy for the team to be so successful.
Nerd down was very active, didn't lose once and had a great attitude 😏
Ominous> i might spec help
Ominous> haven't decided yet
Ominous> i may have more g matters to attend to
BOMBED> you'll prolly fuck that up
BOMBED> just go afk or something
1:eel> ray j's dick was fucking eneourmous
1:qs> man i havent had female interaction in about a year

Unlimited
Level 4

Post by Unlimited » April 20th, 2017, 12:19 am

PAT wrote:
April 20th, 2017, 12:14 am
Unlimited wrote:
April 19th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Wrekt -
Nerd down was very active, didn't lose once and had a great attitude 😏
Sounds great, wonder who drafted nerd down. 🤗

PAT
Level 6

Post by PAT » April 20th, 2017, 2:54 pm

is mopy looking to play egfl?
Ominous> i might spec help
Ominous> haven't decided yet
Ominous> i may have more g matters to attend to
BOMBED> you'll prolly fuck that up
BOMBED> just go afk or something
1:eel> ray j's dick was fucking eneourmous
1:qs> man i havent had female interaction in about a year

Unlimited
Level 4

Post by Unlimited » April 20th, 2017, 3:26 pm

PAT wrote:
April 20th, 2017, 2:54 pm
is mopy looking to play egfl?
nah he's done w ss

doomsy
Level 3

Post by doomsy » April 21st, 2017, 8:05 am

good read from lee and unlim , also thanks unlim :)

for my part im not surprised with how shitty odb turned this out but big up to merc and hydrange and the rest of the team.

indeed wrekt and extort r teh favorite and made wise choice the whole season.

8thwonder was nowhere to be seen from day1 and once bacon decided to go in it bloomed.

the rest of teh squad r indeed struggling and i do struggle too but that can be worked out.

but with the weeks going furthers the chemistry is getting better for every squad so it can turn around really fast.

i finally got a somewhat decent 4v4 lineup and as lee said ill continue to ask for 5v5.

gl to all squads for the next weeks.

Optimal
Level 8

Post by Optimal » May 3rd, 2017, 9:52 am

nice summaries for people who didnt make finals themselves.
Viper Squadron Image

Smoking Blue

Return to “EGBDL 2017”