kilo watt wrote:how does a mac make it easier for designers? I myself am a beginner in design and don't have clue about what makes a mac easier to design with, than a pc.
I wouldn't say there are things that Mac can do that PC can't do for designs. It is more like that mac are always more favorable by designers because of these main reasons:
1. Macs are prettier =)
2. OS X performs better in animation. For example comparing the Vista and OS X, Vista would probably takes 2x more resource to do the same thing.
3. OS X's User Interface is cleaner, they do pay a lot more attention to details on the OS, so designers usually favors that.
4. Font Rendering is more accurate and prettier. (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html
5. Safari (OS X's browser) actually cares about color profiles. There are many photographers set their photos with a customized color profile and you will be seeing a better photo in that case.
6. Since there are more designers on the mac side (proportionally) to begin with, the applications are more focused on details and higher quality. Many times on a PC you get some ugly interfaces designed by programmers...
7. Movie making software (Final Cut Studio)
1. yes, they are pretty, however pc's have the modding scene tho, not sure if they make them pretty...its open for discussion.
2. as far as i know yes.
3. imo i hate the interface, i cant find anything, i dont know if programs are running or not, feels like im in 1 giant window, makes me feel like im running some sort of mdi app.
4. i see it all blurry
maybe it was the hardware
5. hate font rendering, on safari, i like how firefox runs on it tho, but then again, thats available in all platforms.
7. windows movie maker sux ass.. but there is gpl software out there that replaces it...
macs are pc's afaik, the osx is the os, which was based on the next plataform based on unix, and yeah everything will run better on it,unix is like 40 years old lol.
i think it all comes down to preference, osx might be better than windows, but macs are pc's now so you cant really say, macs are better than pc's, because its the same thing, they just have proprietary hardware, which has its own breed of advantages and disadvantages.
in my opinion kilowatt, what ever makes you feel confortable, you can start out with what you have, because designing is on the head not on the computer.
whereas is windows, osx, or linux. you have tools in every one of those to design, i've seen amazing things that were developed in linux with only free software , so whatever you have right now, is fine.