LeapFTP
FlashFXP
By Kupo!
Macromedia Fireworks
Macromedia Dramweaver
Swish 2.0
By rx8
im a professional web developer,
I use mainly Paint Shop Pro other than photoshop and also visual slickedit for text editor.

databases:
sql server
access
oracle
mysql
By X-Gear
Oracle 10.2g Enterprise, distributed running on a 20 rack system
Toad / PL/SQL Developer
FireFox Latest
IE w/ JS Debugger....all of them since 5.5 because people suck.
UltraEdit32 (latest)
Prototype & Scriptaculous
http://www.quirksmode.org

Thats what I use at work, nothing fancy and our products cost millions. Almost all of that is free too or has free dls. Go figure?
By Thanatos
ok u both professional developers read the topic again.

My List:
Textmate http://www.macromates.com
Photoshop CS2 (still waiting for my CS3)
Firebug
OmniGraffle
Parallels (for IE 7 + IE 6 + FF in windows)
By alm
Thanatos wrote:ok u both professional developers read the topic again.

My List:
Textmate http://www.macromates.com
Photoshop CS2 (still waiting for my CS3)
Firebug
OmniGraffle
Parallels (for IE 7 + IE 6 + FF in windows)
is cs3 worth the upgrade?
By pLAGuedog
Zend PHP IDE studio
firebug for firefox
webdev toolbar for firefox

ummm........

netDrive (makes your ftp server into a local computer drive, like F: )
the adobe creative suite...

yah. that's it.
By prozaker
instead of notepad do notepad++ way better.
dreamweaver cs3.
colorcop
swish
wamp server (apache + php + mysql preinstalled)
RJL simple search/replace (or any other search in files that is fast, cuz wingrep sux)
copypath
winmerge
subversion
tortoise svn
kuler desktop app
vmware
multiple ie's
magnifier
jruler
filezilla
By prozaker
dreamweaver cs3?

to tell you the truth feels exactly like dreamweaver 8, all tho it crashes less, and have some extra features.

like telling you a certain code conflicts with ie6 or stuff like that.

in the end its just an overprized notepad with a wysiwyg, but saves me time building templates...

i dont use it for anything else but html...

i use notepad for php and always end up editing the css sheet that it creates.

havent used ps cs3...
By Innes-
is cs3 any use for php?, 8 ouputs fekall in php with the design view can be a pain in the ass at time
By tempo+
Adobe CS3 Design Premium (cs3 is absolutely worth it)
CSSEdit
Fetch (FTP)

And a little question, is here any mac users? Thana got parallers there :)
By prozaker
mac is more aimed at designers imo, not developers.

on topic:

autohotkey <--really nice,very customizable for shortcuts, auto text, etc etc.
eclipse
launchy
winsnap (not free, im sure there is a prog like that, that is opensource.)
captivate (same as last one)
samurize <- for all kinds of info and stuff... not really for dev, but makes customize a lot of things, like the clock and stuff like that.
scribus (like publisher but free, dont really use it but worth mentioning)
By Thanatos
Prozaker wrote:mac is more aimed at designers imo, not developers.

on topic:

autohotkey <--really nice,very customizable for shortcuts, auto text, etc etc.
eclipse
launchy
winsnap (not free, im sure there is a prog like that, that is opensource.)
captivate (same as last one)
samurize <- for all kinds of info and stuff... not really for dev, but makes customize a lot of things, like the clock and stuff like that.
scribus (like publisher but free, dont really use it but worth mentioning)
Have you experienced web development with mac? Its a common misunderstanding where mac is for designers and not developers. Try going to a rails conference you'll see whats going on...
By prozaker
like ruby on rails? the framework?

or is there an IDE called rails? because you can practically code anything with just notepad and run a compiler on it to make it work.

"more aimed at designers" because i haven't met anyone who is a hardcore developer that uses a mac, however i've met a lot of ppl who are hardcore designers and only use mac.

{edit}
looked at the rubyonrails website, and it says that TextMate on the mac is grat for dev, they also mention RadRails that is built on top of the eclipse ide, and eclipse is really good.
By kilo watt
how does a mac make it easier for designers? I myself am a beginner in design and don't have clue about what makes a mac easier to design with, than a pc.
By Thanatos
kilo watt wrote:how does a mac make it easier for designers? I myself am a beginner in design and don't have clue about what makes a mac easier to design with, than a pc.
I wouldn't say there are things that Mac can do that PC can't do for designs. It is more like that mac are always more favorable by designers because of these main reasons:

1. Macs are prettier =)
2. OS X performs better in animation. For example comparing the Vista and OS X, Vista would probably takes 2x more resource to do the same thing.
3. OS X's User Interface is cleaner, they do pay a lot more attention to details on the OS, so designers usually favors that.
4. Font Rendering is more accurate and prettier. (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html)
5. Safari (OS X's browser) actually cares about color profiles. There are many photographers set their photos with a customized color profile and you will be seeing a better photo in that case.
6. Since there are more designers on the mac side (proportionally) to begin with, the applications are more focused on details and higher quality. Many times on a PC you get some ugly interfaces designed by programmers...
7. Movie making software (Final Cut Studio)
By prozaker
Thanatos wrote:
kilo watt wrote:how does a mac make it easier for designers? I myself am a beginner in design and don't have clue about what makes a mac easier to design with, than a pc.
I wouldn't say there are things that Mac can do that PC can't do for designs. It is more like that mac are always more favorable by designers because of these main reasons:

1. Macs are prettier =)
2. OS X performs better in animation. For example comparing the Vista and OS X, Vista would probably takes 2x more resource to do the same thing.
3. OS X's User Interface is cleaner, they do pay a lot more attention to details on the OS, so designers usually favors that.
4. Font Rendering is more accurate and prettier. (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html)
5. Safari (OS X's browser) actually cares about color profiles. There are many photographers set their photos with a customized color profile and you will be seeing a better photo in that case.
6. Since there are more designers on the mac side (proportionally) to begin with, the applications are more focused on details and higher quality. Many times on a PC you get some ugly interfaces designed by programmers...
1. yes, they are pretty, however pc's have the modding scene tho, not sure if they make them pretty...its open for discussion.
2. as far as i know yes.
3. imo i hate the interface, i cant find anything, i dont know if programs are running or not, feels like im in 1 giant window, makes me feel like im running some sort of mdi app.
4. i see it all blurry :( maybe it was the hardware
5. hate font rendering, on safari, i like how firefox runs on it tho, but then again, thats available in all platforms.
6. truth
7. windows movie maker sux ass.. but there is gpl software out there that replaces it...

macs are pc's afaik, the osx is the os, which was based on the next plataform based on unix, and yeah everything will run better on it,unix is like 40 years old lol.

i think it all comes down to preference, osx might be better than windows, but macs are pc's now so you cant really say, macs are better than pc's, because its the same thing, they just have proprietary hardware, which has its own breed of advantages and disadvantages.

in my opinion kilowatt, what ever makes you feel confortable, you can start out with what you have, because designing is on the head not on the computer.

whereas is windows, osx, or linux. you have tools in every one of those to design, i've seen amazing things that were developed in linux with only free software , so whatever you have right now, is fine.
By Thanatos
Prozaker wrote:
Thanatos wrote:

1. Macs are prettier =)
1. yes, they are pretty, however pc's have the modding scene tho, not sure if they make them pretty...its open for discussion.
2. as far as i know yes.
3. imo i hate the interface, i cant find anything, i dont know if programs are running or not, feels like im in 1 giant window, makes me feel like im running some sort of mdi app.
4. i see it all blurry :( maybe it was the hardware
5. hate font rendering, on safari, i like how firefox runs on it tho, but then again, thats available in all platforms.
6. truth
7. windows movie maker sux ass.. but there is gpl software out there that replaces it...

macs are pc's afaik, the osx is the os, which was based on the next plataform based on unix, and yeah everything will run better on it,unix is like 40 years old lol.

i think it all comes down to preference, osx might be better than windows, but macs are pc's now so you cant really say, macs are better than pc's, because its the same thing, they just have proprietary hardware, which has its own breed of advantages and disadvantages.

in my opinion kilowatt, what ever makes you feel confortable, you can start out with what you have, because designing is on the head not on the computer.

whereas is windows, osx, or linux. you have tools in every one of those to design, i've seen amazing things that were developed in linux with only free software , so whatever you have right now, is fine.
1. Same logic applies to car modifications. Some people love it but I think modding a car is stupid.
3. If 80%+ user interface designers prefers mac, it has a pretty high chance that the user interface is really considered more superior by the professionals. I am assuming that you haven't experienced all the features offered on the OSX because you are trying to operate the same way as if ur using windows. I was reluctant to switch over at the first place too but once I switched I realized that I can do anything faster with macs somehow. For example I would make use of the shortcuts of the applications all the time. I can launch applications really quick. Things are integrated well. (ex: my photos, calendars, music, address book are synced across to my iphone, without any hassle). Updates on softwares are really easy. All application's updates are notified to you. They don't check pirated copies like windows does. No viruses. More stable OS. Less memory hungry compare to Vista. Enough hardselling =)
4. The whole argument was that windows modified the behavior of fonts and actually make them into aliased for a more crisp output which is considered stupid by most people who are into typography.
5.There are complains about Safari under windows. Try it under OS X its a diff story.
By prozaker
ill prolly never get a chance to work with a mac again... but if i do, ill give it a chance.
i prefer clear type most of the time.

actually the safari that i used was on osx running in a amd computer.. http://fishy.nu/?p=24

I also think vista is a piece of crap.

i work with xp and sometimes linux.
By linenoise
I use:

Editplus 2 - syntax highlighting and autocompletion for every language ever + secure ftp... and it's free
IDE: what IDE? I have used several, all for commercial purposes. Otherwise I think they stink. printf(), son, printf()
Foobar2000 - awesome free lightweight music player; doesn't cause screenlag like winamp windows media pos video crap that should never play mp3s!!!
vmware+ubuntu+enlightenment17 window manager: for the perfect sexy linux distro to woo the ladies
utorrent: bittorrent client; lightweight, prioritize individual files, no crapware included
pidgin instant messaging - supports everything, doesn't have trillian's bloat issues
firefox mostly because it's a better browser...
internet explorer 7 for flash/java/silverlight/etc as it's currently the most secure+doesn't crash

PHP..
- cPanel, ewww, but it's so eassy....
- Smarty templates
- cURL
- IMLib (never ever use GD! that image library sucks! use imlib2 instead, it's worth a recompile even in cpanel obscureware)
- MySQL
- Magpie RSS

Javascript..
- SIFR flash menu/text generation
- LIGHTBOX pretty pictures

I also use Amazon S3 storage. Highly recommended if you're serving a lot of contents... just never ever call getBuckets()... as it costs $0.10 a pop...

For generally purpose technical house calls, I have a USB stick with GRSecurity Knoppix. all y0r base... and your neighbor's too... are belong to LINENOISE the ai that evolved from the net and plays continuum with youuuu --->

We can organize a fund, pull together a few grand […]

Rip e.g

Squadmatch anyone ?

420 is ready for anyone, even a pick up team.

Play Extreme Games on Subspace Continuum Today!